Anatomy of a Web Map - Fun with Fish
1) Introduction I - Maptime Cape Cod Co-Organizers
2) Introduction II - Cape Cod Commercial Fishermen’s Alliance
5) Let’s make a map - follow along the code here
6) Wrap-Up - Possible Topics - Next Meetup Date
7) RSVP every Meetup - Space Limit x Venue
8) Exit Survey - Whiteboard Comments, please
Ever wonder how a map gets from a piece of paper to your computer screen? Web maps might look like digital wizardry, but anyone can make a web map with a few lines of basic code. At this month’s Maptime, we will discuss the core components of a web map and popular web mapping libraries/tools you can use to share your geospatial insights with the world. We will even do a live demo and build a web map from scratch for our host, the Cape Cod Commercial Fishermen’s Alliance.
New to web maps? No problem. We will cover the nuts and bolts that can get you up and running on your own. Are you one of those web mapping wizards? Come share your knowledge with the rest of us.
Please RSVP so we can accommodate everyone. Bring your laptop so that you can follow along and contribute. As always, beginners are most welcome! We hope to see you there for a night of fish and maps!
Time: Wednesday, May 13, 7-9pm
Our first Maptime meetup will take place Saturday April 11 from 8am - 12pm at the Woods Hole Research Center. We will be working through the basics of OpenStreetMap by contributing to the Spring OSM Mapathon. Although the Mapathon theme is “Great Outdoors”, we’ll be living the #SlouchLife by adding our favorite hiking trails, fishing holes, and secret beach spots to the map from our chairs.
Please RSVP so we can accommodate everyone who wants to attend– anyone even remotely interested in mapping is welcome! Remember to charge your laptop then head over to the Research Center for a morning of mapping and getting to know each other.
OpenStreetMap Spring 2015 Mapathon: The Great Outdoors
1) Introduction I Maptime Cape Cod Co-Organizers
2) Introduction II Woods Hole Research Center Overview
3) Conservation Groups Presentations(s) The 300 Committee, others in attendance(?)
4) What is Maptime? (Source: Lyzi Diamond - Mapbox - @lyzidiamond)
7) Commence armchair mapping
8) Wrap-Up - Possible Topics - Next Meetup Date
9) RSVP every Meetup - Space Limit x Venue
10) Exit Survey - Whiteboard Comments, Please
Maptime Cape Cod is a meetup where members can teach and learn about different geospatial technologies, work collaboratively on projects, and showcase their mapping successes. Suffice it to say, Maptime is a time for maps. We encourage an open learning environment for anyone regardless of experience. Anyone with an interest in a specific topic or, more broadly, mapping is welcome to attend. At its core, Maptime is all about learning from our peers to build a community of modern day cartographers on and around Cape Cod. That said, we ask you come to Maptime with your personal development in mind– please leave work projects at work.
We anticipate that Maptime Cape Cod will meet monthly at various locations around the Cape and possibly the south coast. Feel free to contact us with suggestions for future meetup topics, or if you know of any locations that can host us.
We look forward to seeing you!